Recovery Update 4

Home – The first 5 days

***disclaimer, I’m not going to proof read this as looking at a screen too long hurts, so please excuse any typos***

Day 1 – The trip home from the hospital was a bit painful and bumpy, but once I settled in, I was able to keep the pain at bay with my meds. However, the first night of sleep was really rough. Waking up every couple of hours. BUT SO grateful to be in my bed! And also crazy to think that I was home just three days post brain surgery.

Day 2 – Appetite started coming back, but still not able to eat much. My symptoms of tingles hands and difficulty swallowing were completely. Also my first bowel movement in 5 days (sorry, I know that might be TMI, but get over it, everybody needs to poop).

Day 3 – Started with LOTS of pain. Pain similar to day 1 after surgery. Probably just more sitting up that I was used to. Lots of stiffness, and aches. Thinking maybe I had the wrong medication, so I called my doctor and made an appointment for Wednesday, AUG 30. He said he would take out the staples at that point as well. This night was the most uninterrupted sleep I’ve had since surgery coming in @ 3 hours!

Day 4 – Woke up feeling SO GREAT! Maybe I don’t need new meds, or any pain meds at all. I thought I would keep taking them just in case and talk to my doctor tomorrow. About 3pm my great feeling quickly turned from a 1 to about a 9 on the infamous “1-10” pain scale. Yup. definitely not ready to get off of these pain meds. Also, my appetite is back! Still eating plant based (with minimal dairy) , so I had some avocado toast for  breakfast, 2 slices of veggie pizza from round table for lunch, and spaghetti squash with veggie marinara for dinner (thanks Missi).

Day 5 – Sleep was a bit rough last night, but better than the night before so that was promising. Woke up feeling great again, but this time I wouldn’t let myself overdo it. Met with my surgeon this am at 8:30 and he said I’m healing up well, took out the staples, and showed me a before an after MRI. Its amazing how much room the surgery created. He said I will experience pain still for the next 2-3 weeks, however, it should progressively get better. He prescribed me a new pain med, as well as a muscle relaxer for the stiffness.

That’s all for now! Thanks for your continued prayers / positive thoughts for healing. Not through the storm just yet, but I’m sailing a little bit easier than before.

ALSO – Shout out to my amazing recovery team: Mom, Missi (girlfriend), and Dan (roommate). I COULD NOT do this without all of you and your combined efforts. Love you!

8 Replies

  1. Carolyn Crawley Reply

    Thanks for your update! As a retired RN, I appreciate and understand your reporting!! Post-operative pooping is good!!!!! Be careful not to overdo when you are feeling good (as you discovered). It is amazing that you are home already. Being in your own home is great. Continuing to pray for you!

  2. Dorae Reply

    Hi John thank you for the update. Thinking about you. My husband and I are keeping you in prayer. Just think in 2 or 3 weeks the pain will be less or even gone. What a blessing that you had your surgery at Hoag. Prayers for a complete recovery ♡.

  3. Deborah Fly Reply

    Really encouraging to hear your recovery. Praying for continued healing and complete relief from pain and all your previous symptoms!!!

  4. John Stearns Reply

    Thanks you guys!!

  5. Barry & Anna Teats Reply

    Great news. Yes, juggling pain meds can be challenging but, like you mentioned, don’t over do. Patience will be tested but hang tough. God is with you, as always. Great support team, which is true blessing. Continuing in prayer.